When it comes time to decorate your dining room, you are going to have to make some tough decisions. No matter how your house is laid out, having a comfortable and stylish dining area is going to be important. After all, you can't really expect to have guests over if you have nowhere to eat. Nowadays, modern decor has come back in a big way. From modern dining room furniture to modern home furnishing accessories, homeowners are increasingly finding the benefits of the style. Today, we are going to discuss how you can use modern styles in order to enhance the feel of your dining spaces.
Using Modern Decor For Your Dining Areas
When we talk about modern furniture and modern decor, we are talking about a very specific style. The word 'modern' gets thrown around far too often and, as a result, the word has begun to lose its meaning. When we talk about modern decor, we're talking about simple structural elements with a focus on straight lines and a total lack of frill. That outline pretty much encapsulates the modern furnishing movement that continues to be so popular. Now, having laid that rough synopsis out, how can you incorporate modernism into your home dining spaces?
1) Natural Light - If you really want to double down on the modernist dining experience, you need to incorporate as much natural light as possible. Natural lighting can be seen as the backbone of a modern dining space. Instead of draping your windows with heavy fabrics, rely on light fabrics with soft colors. The diffused natural light will complement the furnishing options that you get from your local brand name furniture store. If you have windows in your dining room, open them up.
2) Go Green - While most people conflate modern home design with stark colors, modernist decor also opens the door for plenty of natural colors. While we can't argue with the timeless nature of black and white design styles, we really enjoy seeing different shades of green. Incorporating green furniture or table dressings can be a great way to improve your dining experience while sticking to a modern style. You can also incorporate actual plants in your room too. Plants aren't contrary to modern decor, even if they don't stick in with the typical stark design ideas that you might have in mind.
3) Accented Walls - Modern designs also lend themselves to being very creative. Your dining room can become stylish overnight with the addition of an accented wall. Rather than having all four walls painted in the same way, consider using a contrary color on one of your walls. For example, if you have creme paint on your walls, consider a darkened feature wall in order to pull it all together. If you don't want to paint your accented wall, you can use wallpaper instead. Spend some time researching accent walls in order to get some ideas and you'll be sure to find something that fits your style.
4) Maximizing Minimal Space - While modernist home designs typically are found in larger environments, you can make even the smallest of rooms into a modern dining room. If you have a small dining room that you want to make look modern, consider incorporating mirrors. Mirrors will add depth to the environment while creating the feeling that your dining room is larger than it actually is. These mirrors will bring in more natural light while also providing their own unique and stylish addition to the room.
5) Upscale Artwork - Finally, consider incorporating more upscale artwork into your dining room. When we say upscale, we aren't specifically talking about price. Instead, we are talking about style. You can look through any catalog and pick modernist artwork at random. Obviously, you don't need to buy actual copies of the artwork, but a print from the local furniture store will do the trick. Black and white or subdued artwork with silver flourishes are ideal for really getting a modernist feel to your dining room.
As you can see, there is seemingly no end in sight to the different ways you can embrace modernism in your dining room. Don't feel constrained by our ideas, however, as there is a multitude of different directions that you can go in. Modernism is all about embracing style without going overboard. Take our ideas and mix them with your own personal taste in order to create a dining room that is perfect for you.
Posted July 19, 2019
©2019 Marchant Home Furnishings in Grandview, Washington. All rights reserved.